Enhance Your Language Awareness Words in Action ▇ Working with Words and Expressions
1 In the boxes below are some of the words you have learned in this unit. Complete the following sentences with them. Change the form where necessary. ■Answers:
1) mass 2) gambled 3) voluntary 4) hunted 5) classified 6) abolished 7) division 8) senseless 9) fashions 10) coordination 11) declarations 12) committed 13) necessity 14) moderately 15) slightest 16) considerable 17) evaluate 18) derived
2 In the boxes below are some of the expressions you have learned in this unit. Complete the sentences with them. Change the form where necessary. ■Answers:
1) stands/stood a chance 2) ruled out 3) consist /consists of 4) gone through
5) in the strict sense 6) At a guess 7) earns a living 8) coincide with 9) gone in for
10) got their teeth into
▆ Increasing Your Word Power 1 Word Building
Did you notice the suffix -ary and -ory in words such as “voluntary” and “satisfactory” in Texts A and B? The suffix -ary or -ory can be added to a noun to form an adjective. Now add the suffixes of -ary or -ory to the nouns in the following table to form adjectives, then translate them into Chinese. ▆ Answers: nouns suffixes adjectives Chinese meaning planet planetary 行星的 congratulation congratulatory 祝賀的 contradiction contradictory 矛盾的，對立的 custom customary 通常的，習慣的；慣例-ary / -ory 的 document documentary 公文的，文件的 explanation explanatory 解釋的；說明的 imagination imaginary 想象中的，虛構的 introduction introductory 介紹的，導言的 legend legendary 傳說（中）的，傳奇的 migration migratory 遷徙的，移居的 vision visionary 有遠見的；不實際的
1) imaginary 2) congratulatory 3) Migratory 4) documentary 5) legendary 6) introductory 7) contradictory 8) explanatory
2 Study the following usage notes and then complete each of the following sentences with an appropriate word from the box. ▆ Answers for reference: 1) vocation 2) posts 3) trade 4) job 5) work 6) profession 7) career 8) position
3 Underline the mistakes in the following sentences, paying special attention to the use of prepositions. Write down your corrections in the space provided. If there is no mistake, write “No Mistake”.
1) ( of ) Natural disasters are inevitable and they are independent on man’s will.
2) ( against ) This incident can by no means justify their discrimination for the black people.
3) ( for ) My son has little aptitude of sport but he excels in music. 4) ( with ) The deceased musician was buried in his home village in
accordance to his wishes. 5) ( over ) The mayor (市長) presided on the ceremony to lay the foundation stone of the new museum.
6) ( of ) Truth be told, I am envious about his fame and success though I always pretend otherwise.
7) ( in ) The old man’s will was signed at the presence of two witnesses—his younger sister and one of his favourite students.
8) ( No Mistake ) When Britain declared war on Germany, Jack’s grandpa joined
the army and his grandma was frightened for his safety all the time.
9) ( of ) The marketing strategy that I designed proved successful and my
boss was very appreciative for my efforts. 10) (No Mistake ) The new theatre is very spacious, but unfortunately, it is difficult
of access for wheel-chair users.
11) ( for ) Edward Snowden was on a plane bound to Moscow when he got to know that his passport had been revoked (吊銷) by the US government.
12) ( of ) Professor Peterson is very contemptuous for the so-called “popular” writers, whom he describes as talentless and worthless.
Grammar in Context
1 Turn the following complex sentences into simple sentences. ▇ Answers for reference:
1) I don’t remember having borrowed/borrowing anything from you. 2) She’ll stay here for a couple of weeks before going on to New York. 3) The prospect of Professor Smith’s coming to see us cheered us all. 4) Jim, a man of strong character, naturally didn’t give in.
5) Arriving at the school gate, he found his classmates had already assembled.
2 Replace the that-clause in each of the sentences with a prepositional phrase. ▇ Answers for reference:
1) He was afraid of falling behind the others.
2) We were all amused at Henry’s running after the dog in his slippers. 3) Have they informed you of the change in the plan?
4) We’re grateful to you for having given us so much help. 5) We assured them of our willingness to cooperate with them.
Complete the following passage with words chosen from this unit. The initial letter of each is given. ▇ Answers:
(1) enjoy (2) physical (3) compelled (4) necessity (5) support (6) mental (7) idealize (8) status (9) values (10) classified (11) essential (12) mind (13) attitude (14) fortunate
1 Translate the following sentences into English, using the words or expressions given in brackets.
▇ Answers for reference: